When first learning a person is atheist, a believer in a god will often ask, “Why are you atheist?” The atheist might respond, “Why do you believe in a god?” People who follow any of the various religious beliefs tend to wonder how a person can live without such beliefs. Religious wonderment leads to many common questions that theists ask atheists.
A person who believes in a god is a deist, meaning, “one who believes in a god.” People who believe that a god revealed itself to people are theists. Atheists are people who do not believe in a god or have a religion, regardless of whether the religion or god is based on a god that revealed itself, like the gods of Hammurabi, Abraham, and Moses; a religion based of any of the other over 4,000 gods man has invented; or a religion without a god. Sometimes, the distinctions between deism and theism are blurred and deists are called theists for convenience, even when they do not believe a god revealed itself to people.
For many theists, a belief in a god is natural. For the atheist, it is not natural to believe in a god. There is not an atheist belief system that says people must reject all of the gods man has invented. Yet, for many theists, it is so natural to believe in a god that they question how a person can live without such beliefs.
What follows are some questions theists ask atheists and variations of those questions as sub-questions. Share your views in the comments.
- Can you prove there is no god?
- What would you count as “actual, credible, real world evidence for God?”
- Why Does There Appear to Be Design (Fine Tuning) in the Universe?
- Where did the universe come from?
- How can you not see that there is intelligent design and a deliberate “Designer”?
- How do you explain intelligent DNA?
- Where do you go when you die?
- Do you believe you have a soul?
- God gives immortal life and without that god man is mortal; don’t you want your soul to live forever?
- What stops Atheists from eating babies (morals)?
- What do you do with your guilt?
- How do you find or offer forgiveness?
- How can you be accountable for your sins?
- Why do you want to change people’s beliefs about a god?
- Why are you proselytizing atheism?
- Why do you hate people who believe in “god”?
- Why not believe in a god just in case you are wrong (Pascal’s Wager)?
- Why are you Atheist?
- When did you stop believing in a god?
- Why do you believe there is not a god?
- What do you worship?
- If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?
- Why do you worship Satan?
- Why do you hate god?
- What do you believe?